Sunday, July 24, 2005

Doing the tourist thing...

Hello again.

I’m presently in Pushkar (India) killing town in the holy city. The picturesque town set by a holy lake near the Thar Desert. After spending a few days in Leh, Alex and I moved on to McLoad Ganj to attend the teachings by the Dalai Lama. We had to go around the Himalayas in direction of Kashmir as the road we cycled on from Manali-Leh was closed due to a nasty storm. We were very lucky to get out of the mountains in time. But we had to spend 4 days on jeeps and buses going through the mountains with fanatical Indian drivers speeding on mountain roads. I don’t recall how many times I called the driver an idiot under my nose. How can you pass on a blind curve with the only defense on your side is a horn all while being up about 500m above a gorge. This happened way to many times, add frequent landslides and a bomb we missed by a week or so in Srinagar, the nasty feel of Jammu and well you get the picture. We were happy to spend a few days with the Tibetans.

The teachings were an inspiring and brilliant experience. The wisdom and energy coming from the Dalai Lama will transform and enlighten Buddhist and non-Buddhist alike. As well, the atmosphere within the temple, early morning chants and ceremonies are quite special. The translation was done in Chinese, English and Spanish on FM radio. Some aspects of the teachings dealt specifically with Buddhism which made it a little difficult to comprehend but none the least you can learn something. Other teachings were related to wisdom and essentially how to live your life as a good human being, this I think is universal to all people regardless of their believes. I wouldn’t say I left the teachings as a changed man, but a more aware person for sure. As well being 10 meters away from the Dalai Lama is an experience on its own, his smile is just incredible, as well he does have a great sense of humor. Often to break to monotony of the teachings he will crack a joke and use his deep laugh to further please the audience. A really great man.

Then it was two more days on buses do ‘smelly’ Delhi. I spent one day in the capital and was glad to get the hell out ASAP. Unfortunately I have to spend two more days when I get back. Off to Agra to see the Taj Mahal. WOW, what a sight (everybody knows about the Taj so I won’t waste the time). Let me just say, it is beautiful but it is not Angkor Wat. Other than the tourist area (Taj Mahal and the Red Fort) , Agra is filthy. Next, Jaipur-the pink city. Beautiful architecture and nice atmosphere, but touts are a pain in the ass.


Ok, off I go… I should be in Bangkok in about a week and then off for a vacation in Toronto.
Robert

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Reading your blog and I figured you'd be interested in advancing your life a bit, call us at 1-206-339-5106. No tests, books or exams, easiest way to get a Bachelors, Masters, MBA, Doctorate or Ph.D in almost any field.

Totally confidential, open 24 hours a day.

Hope to hear from you soon!

August 9, 2005 at 7:23 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home